Thursday, August 11, 2011

Blueberries, Blueberries, Blueberries!!




I don't know about you but I've got a TON of blueberries right now. My M-I-L is a gardener and boy oh boy are my kids happy (and regular), thanks to her berry-growing-skills! My garden yielded about 5 peppers, 4 radishes, and enough lettuce for two salads. Yup, I'm not saving ANY money there yet. Husband says at this rate we should break even on the investment in 2030.
Anyhoo, I digress...
Here's the yummiest blueberry bars that I renamed for the excellent buttery flavor. I used good quality (in other words: double the price) butter that is actually YELLOW!
Worth. Every. Penny.
Here ya go, try to save some for the rest of your family:


Blueberry Butter Bars

1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces)
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest and juice of one lemon
4 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
Preheat oven to 375 & grease a 9x13 pan.
Mix together the sugar, flour, baking powder, lemon zest, & salt. Cut in the cold butter with either a pastry blender or a food processor (pulse until crumbly).
Press half into the pan.
In a separate bowl, mix together the remaj ing 1/2 C sugar, corn starch, lemon juice, & blueberries. Pour on top of the uncooked crust, then top with the rest of the crumb mixture.
Bake for 45 minutes (this took 55 in my boo-tay oven).
Enjoy!
--Elisabeth


-Courtesy to Smitten Kitchen



No comments: