Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Grilled Pesto Bread

Grilled Pesto Bread

We had this bread at Reef restaurant, here in Houston. If you watched "The Next Iron Chef" last season, Chef Caswell was one of the contestants - and Reef is his restaurant. We went there last May with my mother-in-law and her husband while they were visiting.
The bread basket they had at Reef had this delicious ciabatta bread with some pesto smeared on top and then lightly grilled. At the time, I was planning a birthday bash for my friend and new instantly that I wanted to serve this bread at the dinner.
So, I bought a baguette (mistake #1) and covered it with pesto then hubby grilled it (which could be mistake #2 - just cause he was entertaining friends at the same time, and a little distracted.) The bread turned out a little hard and crunchy. Not the way it was at Reef.
And then I sort of forgot about trying to make it again (definitely mistake #3).
Last week I made some Mashed Potato Soup and thought, "OOOH, I should try to make that pesto bread again!"
This time I bought ciabatta bread. I grilled it myself and I will not wait 6 months to have it again!

Here's what you need:
Ciabatta Loaf, sliced thin
Pesto (I used Classico Pesto, yum.)
BBQ or grill pan

Heat your grill pan or BBQ to a pretty high heat. Smother a few slices of bread with the pesto and place on grill. I grilled both sides of the bread - and because your pan or BBQ are hot, it will cook fast.

I love the smokey flavor the BBQ gives - so I recommend using it!
It's so easy and so flavorful and so cheap!


2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yum! I really like pesto and I love bread, so I should definitely try this!

Sarah said...

yummy! Chef Caswell.....watched it!