Friday, August 20, 2010

Back-to-School Breakfasts: French Toast Sticks

I had some time this morning, so I broke out the thick cut bread. The plan was to make a big batch and freeze whatever was left. I think I ended up freezing 5. So, the batch wasn't quite big enough for my 3 kiddo's and me.

French Toast Sticks

8 slices of thick cut bread
2 T butter
4 eggs
1/4 cup sugar (or if using sugar substitute, cut in half again)
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla (I always use a little more. i love that stuff!)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 T orange juice

Preheat oven to 375, place the butter on a baking sheet in the oven to start warming.
Cut the bread into 3rds.
Combine the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bowl (i always end up pouring it into a shallow bowl - easier to dip the bread in) and beat well to combine.
Dip the bread sticks into the egg mixture and place on the warm baking sheet (make sure to swirl the butter around the whole baking sheet).
Bake for about 30 minutes, flipping the sticks over halfway through the cooking process to toast both sides.

TO FREEZE: allow the sticks to cool thoroughly, place in a freezer bag. To reheat, place in a toaster oven or oven at 375 for approximately 8 minutes. They can be microwaved for a couple of minutes, but may be a bit soggy...


No comments: