Friday, April 10, 2009

Thai Coconut Soup by Elisabeth

My sister, Elisabeth, sent me a recipe this morning... I thought I'd post it, as it's been awhile since we have been regularly posting recipes :) sorry...

1 Tbsp veg oil (I used EVOO)
2 Tbsp grated ginger
4-6 tsp Thai Red Curry Paste (I used 4tsp yellow curry paste cuz that's what I had, but will use less next time)
6 C chicken broth
3 Tbsp Fish sauce or soy sauce (fish is preferred if you have it--I will use a bit less next time as it was a tad "fishy")
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 (14 oz) cans coconut milk (not light)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used thighs), sliced into 1 inch strips
1/2 lb white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin (I diced up small cuz we don't really like mushrooms--I also added thinly sliced carrot)
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
fresh cilantro leaves

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat until shimmering. Stir in ginger and curry paste and cook for 1 minute. Add 1/2 C of broth and stir until the curry paste dissolves. Add the remaining broth, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook, partially covered, for 15 minutes.
Stir in the coconut milk, chicken, and mushrooms (and carrots, if desired). Simmer until chicken is cooked, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and season with salt (if needed). Sprinkle the bowls with the cilantro leaves and serve.
With our leftover soup I brought it back to a boil, and added diced potato and carrot, and more chicken. Serve over rice for a second meal. So cheap and fast and easy!
Let me know if you try it! (really! let TBNB know what you think!!)

Jamie--
I got this recipe from that America's Test Kitchen Cookbook. It was so good, I wanted to share. :)
Jonah (her son) even had a second helping! It turned out a tad spicy, but by chasing it with a glass of milk the kids liked it! It's the best soup I've had of this genre. I wouldn't tell the kids what it was until they were done eating (they're funny about things like that sometimes!) and that was incentive enough to get Jonah to start taking bites--he is so curious!

No comments: