Thursday, January 7, 2010

Caramel-Pecan Apple Pie


I am back from my 2 week Griswold Family Vacation trip. I came back with 2 extra suitcases packed full of toys and 7 extra pounds packed on my tush. So before I jump on my elliptical, I wanted to share a few of my favorite recipes from the holidays. This is number one. This pie was so darn good. Even people who didnt care for apple pie were pushing and shoving into the line for seconds.
7 cups sliced, peeled tart apples
1 ts. lemon juice
1 ts. vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbs. sugar
4 1/2 ts. ground cinnamon
1 tbs. cornstarch
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping, room temp
1 unbaked pastry shell (or you can make your own)
3 tbs. butter, melted
STREUSEL TOPPING:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup sugar
6 tbs. cold butter
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping, room temp

In large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and vanilla.  Combine the pecans, sugars, cinnamon and cornstarch; add to apple mixture and toss to coat.  Pour caramel topping over bottom of pastry shell. Top with apple mixture.  Shell should be full.  Drizzle with butter.
In a small bowl, combine flour, pecans and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over filling. 
Bake 350 for 55-65 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is browned.  Immediately drizzle with caramel topping. Cool on wire rack. 8 servings.

Taste of Home

No comments: