Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Applesauce



A couple of weeks ago now, I bought a bag of Granny Smith apples at the grocery store. My kids love these apples. In the midst of unloading, putting away, running out to go pick up my oldest from school and then coming home to finish putting the groceries away, I lost track of the bag of apples. When I questioned my girls, they admitted to the bag of apples being in their room. I knew this was not good! I walked into their room and found the bag emptied and one solitary, single, lonely bite taken out of each apple.
Well, how does the saying go? When life hands you lemons, make lemonade? Does this also fit for apples to applesauce?
Needless to say, I ended up with a pot of applesauce.

So, after thinking about what to do with these apples, I was reminded of something in my childhood. As a young girl, our family would go camping, a lot. We would camp with lots of other families. One family, imparticular, was very creative with their cooking. they made quesadilla's on a grill over the fire. And one time, while camping, they made applesauce. I still remember the recipe, probably one of the first recipes I ever learned, besides the tossed salad recipe in 2nd grade!

Applesauce
1 bag of apples (whole apples will do)
1-2 T cinnamon (depending on how many apples you have, and how sweet/spicy you like it!)
1-2 T brown sugar
Juice from one lemon

Peel & slice the apples (a pain, I know! My friend has the apple peeler and slicer, and jeeze-louise is that easy!)
Put all ingredients over low heat for about 30 minutes, until apples are soft and smash-able (yes, it's a word!)
Once the apples are soft, use whatever nifty tool you have to mash them! I used my mashed potato smasher...)

Let cool a bit and enjoy! I love this warm, with vanilla ice cream. My kids will live on applesauce if i let them!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

MOPS said...

O delicious!! I will be making this soon, thanks!

Sarah said...

sounds fantastic, you are so clever! Was this the same family who taught us....."Peanut peanut butter and jelly and jelly..............."

Nana said...

you lost me at a bag of apples dumped in the girls room with one bite out of each. oh how i love those little girls. grandma's apple tree was loaded with apples, she said she was going to make applesauce too.

Jeff and Aimee said...

Hey Jamie--There's a story in one of Beverly Cleary's "Ramona" books where this exact scenario happened-one bite out of each apple in the apple barrel-so just know that your true life is as entertaining as best selling fiction. :) Aimee