Tuesday, November 11, 2008

STEAK WITH CAULIFLOWER AND CRISPY BREAD CRUMBS

My family (and I!) love this recipe! it's so easy, so flavorful, and great for entertaining. the cleanup is a snap, because you cook almost everything in one pot/pan. I also make extra bread crumbs, I love to snack on it while I'm cooking!!

1 small loaf French or Italian bread, torn into small pieces (about 2 cups)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon capers, roughly chopped
6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 1/2 pounds strip steak (I usually buy a NY steak)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets

Heat oven to 400 ° F.

Toss the bread in a bowl with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until slightly golden and crispy, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the parsley and capers; set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil and the garlic in a large skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium-high heat. Season the steak with the salt and pepper and cook until browned, 2 minutes per side. Transfer the steak to a baking dish and roast to the desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare. Let rest at least 4 minutes before slicing.

Add the cauliflower and 1/2 cup water to the skillet and cook, covered, until the cauliflower is tender and the water has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Divide the steak, cauliflower, and garlic among individual plates. Spoon the bread crumb mixture over the top.

Tip: Cooking the garlic in its peel flavors the cooking oil and leaves you with a tender, roasted clove inside. Eat it with the steak or spread it on toast for a quick, delicious hors d'oeuvre.

Kate Merker, Real Simple, APRIL 2007

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weight Watcher's Points = 9

I reduced the size of the steak to 1 pound and the olive oil to 2 tbsp.

Anonymous said...

This was a hit! I made it last night and John loved it. I used NY steak, I think if I were to make it again, I'd use a different cut... it was a little tough from the roasting.