Monday, October 6, 2008

CHICKEN CHILAQUILES

my kids love this version of chicken enchilada's with green sauce... a great stand-by in our house!

2 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
2 T grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp chili pepper
salt & pepper to taste
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
1 (11 oz) can tomatillos, drained
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles, drained
12 (6 inch) corn tortillas

1. preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. combine chicken, green onions, 1/4 cup monterey jack cheese, parmesan, chili powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. place milk and next 3 ingredients (through chiles) in a food processor or blender; process until smooth.
3. pour 1/3 cup tomatillo mixture into bottom of an 11x7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. arrange 4 corn tortillas in dish, and top with half of chicken mixture. repeat layer with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture, ending with tortillas.
4. pour remaining 1-1/2 cups tomatillo mixture over tortillas; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup monterey jack cheese. bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly.

serve with black beans and spanish rice for a complete meal!

budget friendly: use chicken thighs instead of breasts.
make ahead: you can even double this, freeze it and serve it another night down the road...

cooking light july 2007

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one really surprised me!
Weight Watcher's Points = 5

la femme elisabeth said...

I used a shortcut and boiled a bunch of chicken the day before, so I had it already cooked in the fridge. I cut each breast (I used 2) in half and threw them in my food processor after I made the sauce. Pulsed for a couple seconds and had chopped chicken with no sauce wasted. Made me happy that I didn't have to stand there and shred chicken for a few minutes! :)